Monday, March 21, 2011

Pawpaw and the pickle; In memory of my Pawpaw James Larry Williams

This is my Pawpaw
James Larry Williams 

I could cry writing this, but I won't. My Pawpaw was a SPIT FIRE, he'd get onto me if he caught me writing this memorandum with grief... so I will do it with Joy.
I want to make him proud. 

"Amongst a crowd of Angels there's a cowboy hat; That would be him"

Here's where my ABSOLUTE most favorite memory of my Pawpaw comes in.

Levi was about 5 months old in this picture - and that thing in his mouth, is in fact, a pickle...

When Levi was little he had bouts of reflux pretty badly, he'd cry and cry and I felt so helpless. There were times when almost nothing helped him and it broke my heart...

We went to visit with Pawpaw one day and Levi was fussy with his tummy. Pawpaw said "Give that baby a pickle" I said "WHAT?"... 

Give my baby a pickle?!
Many of you know I'm particular about my kids, funny about what they eat and drink. I use natural/organic remedies when they're sick, and I make their baby food, following the "they can eat this when they're this age guidelines" to a T... I wasn't so sure I'd seen pickles in the section for "Your 5 month old can eat this"
 
Pawpaw swore to me a pickle would cure Levi's upset stomach...

I guess a pickle is natural?

Not only did Levi thoroughly ENJOY his pickle... but sure as the sky is blue... he stopped fussing with his tummy...

I am a firm believer that pickles can in fact cure stomach aches, and that my Pawpaw is brilliant...

So sure of it in fact, that Blaise is gumming on a pickle as I write these very words...

Not only do pickles appear to cure stomach aches, they are a GREAT, COLD, teether for achey baby gums!

No comments: